[Heath] Fw: AM Crystal filter for SB-303

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Dec 23 11:02:07 EST 2014

On 22 Dec 2014 at 15:59, Guy Giacopuzzi wrote:

> Only the AM section is bad?  To confirm it's the filter, it should only be the
> am section; after that, I would look at the am detector circuit...I've never
> heard of a xtal filter "going bad"... Guy, WA6OQQ

I most certainly have...

My most recent bad one was a Heathkit 400 Hz CW filter. It began to exhibit
very high attenuation. Although I have not examined it closely, it appears that
at least one of the crystals in it has failed, possibly shorted internally.

I simply replaced it with another, good, one. This was in an HW-101.

And this is not the first crystal filter I have had experience with which either
was bad from the beginning or failed.

It happens.

Ken W7EKB