[Heath] HM-102 Wattmeter meter needle 'stickiness'

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at aol.com
Thu Jan 16 14:51:58 EST 2014

I have an HM-102 wattmeter that was given to me 7-8 years ago.  I wasn't the builder.

While it appears to be in pretty good shape, the meter needle seems to be a bit 'sticky' and does not seem to move smoothly when sensing RF.  The needle itself seems to be a safe distance away from both the inside of the meter clear cover and the meter face.

I'm guessing this is a mechanical problem and not an electrical one.  Is this a known symptom of the meters used in HM-102's, and if so, is there a 'fix'?  Is there a way to easily remove the clear face cover to check the clearance of the needle on the face without damaging the meter movement?

73

John...
WB4LNM