[Heath] HL-2200 amp problem

Robert Groh rgroh at swbell.net
Wed Jan 22 12:33:23 EST 2014

Diode replacement for 1N191 - a silicon (e.g. 1N270) would probably do fine - you would lose a bit of output on the low end but it is only 'relative' power. A schottky such as the 1N5711 (readily available at Mouser for $0.50) would give the low forward voltage - reverse breakdown voltage is 70V but I don't think that is a problem. See next

The voltage problem is not a problem - there is a honking resistor divider(R24 and R26) from the RF output to the diode.  So crank a 68:1 (68K/1K) voltage reduction in there and your 70V breakdown is now 4,760 volts (i.e. 70 * 68) which is obviously not a problem.

Also 1N34A will work with a Vbr of 35V (35*68 = 2,380V) and they seem to be readily available.

73 and happy DX
Bob Groh, WA2CKY