[Heath] SB-303 Noise Blanker

N4ch at aol.com N4ch at aol.com
Thu Mar 13 21:31:46 EDT 2014

I don't think Heath ever sold a noise blanker for  the SB-303 receiver,
either included with the basic receiver kit, or as an  add-on accessory (like
the optional CW and AM filters).   The SB-104/A  SSB transceivers DID have an
optional noise blanker which could be added, and  back in the late 70s and
early 80s a common mod for the SB-303 was to buy a  blanker kit (which was
intended for the SB-104), and wire it into the '303  receiver.   I don't
think Heath ever encouraged or supported doing  this, but the modification was
written up in one of the ham mags some 35 years  ago (I can't recall which
one), and I actually modified a couple such receivers,  and the results were
pretty good, as I recall.   I think the RF  attenuator was standard on ALL
SB-303 receivers that Heath shipped, but the  blanker was standard on none.

73, Herman, N4CH.

In a message dated 3/13/2014 8:37:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,