[Heath] SB-303....and noise blankers....

Guy Giacopuzzi gggdds at js-net.com
Sat Mar 15 10:24:52 EDT 2014

Wow, you learn something new everyday.  Here, as a Heathkit collector, I
thought I knew the 303' in an out, and, well, I just happen to have a
1971 Heathkit Catalog...and guess what--if you look very, very carefully
at the pic of the 303', it does say "noise blanker" in the rf attenuator
spot.  And it is definately "blocked out", as if at press time they
weren't sure they could get the thing to work.  Now, because this looks
like about the time of the 303's introduction, it appears that the
engineers had a NB in the 303' from the start, but probably couldn't get
it to work right--I'm guessing this, please understand.  In my years of
working at Heath, I never saw a 303' come in for service--most hams
built them flawlessly and there was little to go wrong in them once they
were built.  So I never saw one with "noise blanker" printed on the
panel.  I'm guessing you have a very, very early model....if you still
have the famous blue/silver/white sticker on it, tell us the serial #.
I'm at my vacation home at the moment, but when I'm back at my home QTH,
I'll look at my 303's (I own two of them...) and I'll be your # is very
low....As I said previously, you own a rare piece of Heathkit
history...fascinating for those of us that loved and have studied the
history of the company....Again, make sure Penson is aware of this...
Guy,
WA6OQQ