[Heath] AT-1 Meter, More

Wilson infomet at embarqmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:40:51 EDT 2014

Mac brought the goofy AT-1 meter over.
It was hard against the left stop.
We found that a little iron near the rotor magnets would cause deflection, so we improvised a biasing piece with a piece of paperclip wire.
It works well and we can set the needle to zero.
The sensitivity is now nearer 100mA than 10, however, for no apparent reason.
If the bias piece is sucking up field from the coil, that may explain the sensitivity loss??
Coil seems normal, at about 400 Ohms.
I’d love to find a junk meter, to see if there is anything missing from Mac’s!
If there’s anything such as a clunker AT-1 left, I’d give $25 for it, as long as the meter was not smashed.
73,
Wilson
W4BOH