[Heath] HW-8 Cover Help

JF lhouseparker at livingston.net
Tue Oct 28 12:59:26 EDT 2014

kd6edv at gmail.com writes:

 > How do I repair the upper cover with a 2 3/4 inch hole on top?
 > Also want to repair the other screw holes on upper and lower covers.
 > Ideas?

Ron,
Regarding suggestions to put a small speaker in the hole in the
HW-8's cover, be aware that:
(1)  You would have to add an audio amplifier PCB because a stock
HW-8 will not drive a speaker, it needs mono headphones, 1000 ohms
nominal;
(2)  The direct-conversion receiver suffers from microphonics - any
vibration or even touching the case is loudly heard in the
headphones. Perhaps an external amplified speaker could work if it's
not loud, not located close to the HW-8, and is not acoustically
coupled to it (like sitting on the same shelf).

73
John  KE5ZB