[Heath] IO-4235 scope operation question.

Wilson infomet at embarqmail.com
Mon Sep 22 09:35:27 EDT 2014

Do you know the scope is functional?
If the spot disappears, you may have the input coupling set to DC, when it should be AC, since you don’t know if there’s a DC offset present.
If you are on AC coupling and the spot disappears, then you may have more signal than your sensitivity allows.  That is, the signal may be offscale top and bottom.

When the input and scaling are right, you should see a vertical line showing the amplitude of the signal.
Once you have that, you set triggering to auto, AC, and adjust the trigger level pot to get a sweep.
You can use the scope to see  DC offset, but the sensitivity must be reduced enough to keep the trace onscreen.
If the offset is large, then the AC  component may look very small, meaning you are making two measurements.

Beware of connecting the scope to high DC voltages, especially if you are not using an attenuating probe.  You can blow an input amp!

Let us know what happens,
WL