[Heath] HW-101 LMO IN HW-100??

N4ch at aol.com N4ch at aol.com
Wed Dec 2 07:08:55 EST 2015

I have an old friend (whom I've known for about 45 years) who  built a
HW-100 when it was new, back in 1968-69.   A year or so later,  when Heath
announced the HW-101 (with the new dial drive, provisions for adding  a CW
filter, a marginally more sensitive receiver, and maybe another slight  change or
two besides the obvious cosmetics), he got with Heath, and ordered
everything he needed (including a new front panel and the new plastic  escutcheon)
to fully update the rig from the '100 to the '101.   I  guess the big
question I'd have is whether or not the "new" (Jackson Brothers  6:1 reduction)
dial drives could be easily "fit" behind the "old" front panel  (which used the
much-maligned "Harmonic Drive" mechanism.   I guess  the best way to get an
answer is to disassemble one each of both radios' front  panels, put them
side-by-side, take a good look, and make a few  measurements.   I'd think
that (in addition to the new plastic  vertical escutcheon that was added to the
front panel when Heath did the  re-design) there would be at least a
handful of "new" mechanical items (besides  the two Jackson drives) that would be
needed.   He sold the radio to  another friend of mine (via a mutual
acquaintance of ours who owned the radio  for a few years, who had it in his shack
for 5-10 years)........I THINK the  radio is still in the area here, and
(hopefully) the "new" owner can locate the  paperwork (I think the original
purchaser of the gear originally got the  original HW-101 manual shipped with
the kit, and he bought a HW-101 manual along  with the parts for the
"update").   I hope there are some pages of  notes in there, indicating what all he
actually changed out.........if U are  interested, I'll see if I can
"borrow" all this, and see what all had to be done  to update the dial.

73, Herman, N4CH.

In a message dated 12/1/2015 9:20:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,