[Heath] HW-101 LMO alignment

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Mon Mar 30 21:46:03 EDT 2015

On 30 Mar 2015 at 18:49, Jim's wrote:

>     I have discovered the VFO on my HW-101 is 100khz off. What are the
>      procedures for adjusting VFO for the correct output. Which trimmer cap
>     adjust the upper freq and which adjust the lower.   Thanks Jim K8DHC

First of all, the dial "slips" to align it properly. Someone may have "slipped"
much too far off.

Secondly, is it 100 KHz off at both ends of the dial?

Thirdly, is it 100 KHz off on all bands?

Fourthly, do you have an original manual or a good copy of one?

If so, read beginning on page 121 concerning how to align the VFO.

Lastly, it is possible to "slip" the dial to correct a reading as long as it isn't too
far off. The directions are quite clear. Also, remember that the VFO actually
tunes "backwards" vs what the dial reads. I.e., on 80 meters, the VFO is at
5.0 MHz when the rig is tuned to 4.0 MHz, and at 5.5 MHz when the rig is
tuned to 3.5 MHz.

There is a small green button on the green dial escutcheon just to the right of
the main-tuning knob. First, you turn your 100 kHz calibrator on, then adjust
the dial to the nearest calibration point. Then you push and hold that green
button. This holds the readout in place while you then tune the VFO so that
your calibration signal is zero-beat.

Kenneth G. Gordon W7EKB

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."--- John   Wayne