[Heath] Shipping big/heavy/delicate items...

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed May 13 21:07:52 EDT 2015

On 13 May 2015 at 17:33, Sparky via Heath wrote:

> Here is a method that worked with an analog/beefy Tektronix scope from NY to
> Oregon...and back!

....and I have used the exact same method for shipping such things as an
R-390 receiver...

> Front face including all dials and knobs were protected with a thick ( 1" or
> better) piece of construction foam, taped lightly just to hold it in place.( or,
> any other material with some rigidity as opposed to foam rubber for front panel
> protection.

What I would do is to drill or gouge out the construction foam (blue board) so
that there was a hole that fit around each knob or projection on the front (and
rear) panels, taping in place like you do.

> Next...bubble wrap. I used wrap with smaller bubbles and LOT'S of it! Wrap
> around and around and around... etc. from front to back, than, side to side.
> When wrapping, if you extend the bubble wrap beyond either side or edge by a
> couple/three inches, when done wrapping you will have material extended to
> protect the corners.

I use large-bubble, bubble-pack, making sure there are at least 3" of it on all
six sides. I wrap at least 3 layers of it in all three directions: front-to-back,
side-to-side, top-to-bottom for a total of 9 layers.

> Finally, line a strong box with construction foam until there is at least Two
> inches of protection completely around the device / on all sides.

Yes! All six sides, top, bottom, sides, ends. And I always use a new box,
cutting it down where necessary to fit tightly.

> Seal with clear shipping tape, Post Office does not advocate the use duck tape.

Yes, again.

Ship by FedEx GROUND (not Air).

> Good Luck!

So far, over the past several years and many large items shipped, I have not
(yet) had one single piece damaged in shipping. My kids say I "over-pack"
but what do THEY know?

Yes, yet again. Good luck. :-)

vy 73,

Ken W7EKB