[Heath] Off Topic Switching Power Supply

Bill Guyger bguyger at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 00:39:19 EST 2015

If you Google regulated power supply circuits or 3 amp regulated supplies you'll find schematics that show how to use an external pass transistor to boost the current capability of 78xx regulators. You might want to search LM723 regulator data sheets, they are a universal regulator as are LM317's. The 317 is especially useful since you can make variable voltage supplies very easily. FWIW all the Astron linear supplies are LM723 based.

Don't worry with the hassles of filtering a laptop type supply when it's so easy to do a linear that is inherently quite. Although I must say that the more complex (expensive) switching supplies can be pretty quiet, and pack a lot of current capability into a small box, but for your charging purpose there's no reason to do more than gin up a simple 723 or 317 based circuit.

Bill AD5OL

Sent from my iPhone