[Heath] Off Topic Switching Power Supply

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Nov 3 01:23:50 EST 2015

On 1 Nov 2015 at 20:11, Ron wrote:

> I built an 18vdc 1.5 amp power supply using a transformer, bridge
> rectifier and a 7818 regulator. Works fine, but I need to go to 3 amps.
> I have been trying laptop switching power supplies that put out 3 amps
> that produce noise on my hf rig. If I unplug the laptop power supply,
> the noise goes away. The power supply is used for charging batteries
> through a solar charger.

You can easily "boost" that by simply using a "pass transistor", connecting the output of
your present power supply to the base. Look in any older handbook for details.

> Questions: what is the difference between a regular power supply and a
> switching power supply?

There is a lot of difference, too many differences to go into here.

> Can I filter out the noise on a switching power
> supply?

Yes, but such filtering has to be built into it from the design stage.

Ken W7EKB