[Heath] Teeny screws for Amphenol microphone connector

John Klingelhoeffer wb4lnm at aol.com
Wed Nov 25 15:53:16 EST 2015

Hi Sandy;

I took one of the connectors I have in the junque boxe, removed the screw in question, and it measures as follows:

Diameter of head:  0.153"

Total length:  0.175"

Across threads:  0.086" dia

Threaded stock length:  0.113" (approximately)

The threads are machine and not tapered, nor is the screw pointed - the end is flat.  I will note that I have NOT put it under a microscope and counted threads per inch.  It is certainly not a self-tapping or thread-cutting screw.

When comparing this to something available at McMaster, about the closest thing is a 2-56 flat head machine screw.  That has threads that are 0.086" in diameter, and a head of 0.162".  The size 1-72 screw is markedly smaller in each dimension.  I am guessing since it is (was) manufactured by Amphenol in Chicago at the time, that it was not metric.

A problem for easily available screws from McMaster is the length.  2-56  FH is available in 1/8", 5/32" and 3/16" length, none of which are 0.175" long.  I don't have any idea how deep the hole goes or is tapped.  Probably a bit longer than the original screw.  I guess you could try the 3/16" long, and if it will not fit, you could file the end down some to get it to 0.175" or so.

On mine, the flat head recesses quite a bit into the connector, so the difference between 153 and 162 thousandths is probably de minimus.  May even take care of the extra length of the 3/16 screw.

The zinc-plated steel units from McMaster have part number
90273A050,  $2.76 per 100.  They also offer them in two varieties of stainless steel if you are going to keep the rig for three lifetimes.  The 18-8 is only about twice the price, but 316 SS is about quadruple.  Maybe you have a local model airplane shop that has them in smaller quantities, but I wouldn't hunt to long to save $2.76!  Ebay doesn't seem to be any cheaper, and has less selection.

I also have one connector in the junque boxe missing a screw, but no telling how long it will be until I use it.  I'm not sure I have any green boxes that have that mating chassis connector on them anymore.

Have a good holiday.  Keep the green boxes glowing.

73

John...
WB4LNM

"One of the Hams from Heath"