[Heath] Heath AR-3

Keith Harvey keith.harvey at persona.ca
Sat Jan 23 08:56:37 EST 2016

I still have one here, complete with the Q Multiplier.

Graduating from crystal sets, and saving for weeks I ordered the Heath AR-2.

Heath told me they no longer had that but suggested the AR-3, I saved for a
few more weeks

and bought one. I couldn’t afford the cabinet at the time, purchased that
later. I spent many hours

with headphones (ear squashers) listening to s/w from all over the globe as
well as country music

stations from the south (WWVA Wheeling comes to mind). 100’ of wire strung
from my window to the

fence line helped immensely.

Sputnik was tuned in on a couple of evenings, a big thrill. I recorded it on
¼” reel – reel, an old relic I rebuilt.

I never did learn (at the time) how to use the Q multiplier properly, didn’t
even know what “Q” was.

Every few months I pull the AR-3 off the shelf and fire it up. Tuning is a
bit sloppy and it does drift for a while,

but it does remind me of many hours of listening to International S/W “news
and views”.

Keith Harvey   VA3KRV

Campbellford, Ontario, Canada

Grid FN14ci