[Heath] AR-3 stories.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Mon Jan 25 11:38:13 EST 2016

On 24 Jan 2016 at 20:38, Rick Bilbro wrote:

> Let me say, that I concluded that a novice like me in 1959 that could not afford
> a really high quality super heterodyne receiver at least good or better than an
> SX-99, an HQ-110 or a NC-98, would be better off using a regenerative type of
> shortwave received for 80 and 40 meters over the S-38 or S-41 or SW-54!

Oh, I absolutely agree with that!

After the BC-348 my Mom bought me, I traded that for an RAL-7, which
covered 15 meters. For those who don't know, that is a large Navy TRF
receiver with 2 RF amp stages, a regenerative detector, 2 stages of audio,
and a limiter covering 300 kHz through 23 MHz.

It worked so well that I used it as my main station receiver for the next 12
years.

> I am sure that these low end commercial receivers had better selectivity than a
> regenerative receiver.

Not necessarily...

Ken W7EKB