[Heath] (Heath) AR-3 Stories

R. Michael West k6nc at saciplaw.com
Mon Jan 25 21:25:16 EST 2016

Hi Greg:

Well, I built my AR-3 when I was around 10. It didn't work when first fired up, so I took it to my first Elmer, who resoldered a few joints and had a signal generator to get things aligned. I was a happy camper with my first Heathkit success.

8 years later, I built the 6AQ5 transmitter in Popular Electronics (using a plastic box, as a chassis), which was crystal controlled and very simple. I used the accessory plug on the back of the AR-3 to power it, and worked many stations on 40 meter CW. With its link coupling to a dipole, I must have been lucky to get a watt or so to the antenna.

73, Mike K6NC

ex-WB6NTL
ex-WN6BYP