[Heath] LMO rebuilding....did I mess it up?

Guy Giacopuzzi gggdds at js-net.com
Sat Mar 12 23:08:06 EST 2016

Glen,  and any other members of the Heathkit listserve,

I think I have a problem, and it's not in Houston....I got the 80 band
tuned up on my SB-101, so I thought I'd try it on the air..I found an 80
meter LSB group of hams talking ,and having tuned up the 101' into a
dummy load, I turned it onto the antenna and called...they came right
back and said I had a nice signal...no tuner...I asked "what frequency
are you showing?" and he came back "3900khz".   Only one problem...I was
tuned to 3691khz!!  I checked this again on 40 meters...same
thing...when I transmit a signal using my Elecraft K2 on 7400khz, the
101' is reading (and receiving) it on 7181khz...Did I do something wrong
with the LMO?  I checked it's range of movement,and with the tuning unit
dialed all the way counterclockwise, the  variable cap is almost closed;
then, five turns to the right and the cap is fully opened, as I recall.
I didn't check it on any other bands, but at the moment, it would seem
the LMO's output is 219khz too low....right?   It's reading 219khz low
exactly on both bands..... Help....

A bit of history.  I know virtually nothing about the history of this
101'....I bought this one, with another 101' and two HP23 series power
supplies from a nearby ham for $100.  He had bought them from another
ham, hoping to get one working one out of the pair.  He never had time
to delve into either of them....

Guy
WA6OQQ,
On of the hams at Heath