[Heath] LMO rebuilding....did I mess it up?

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sun Mar 13 17:48:21 EDT 2016

On 12 Mar 2016 at 20:08, Guy Giacopuzzi wrote:

> reading (and receiving) it on 7181khz...Did I do something wrong with the LMO?  I checked it's
> range of movement,and with the tuning unit dialed all the way counterclockwise, the  variable
> cap is almost closed; then, five turns to the right and the cap is fully opened, as I recall.  I didn't
> check it on any other bands, but at the moment, it would seem the LMO's output is 219khz too
> low....right?   It's reading 219khz low exactly on both bands..... Help....

Guy: What seems odd to me is your "range of movement". As I remember
it, the tuning cap in the last Heathkit LMO I worked on only moved over a
fairly small range of tuning, not the entire capacitor's tuning range. As I
remember it (and it has been several years since I rebuilt an LMO) the
range of movement was only about 1/3 the total available range.

But Heathkit used at least two different makers of LMO, so perhaps yours
and mine are by different makers. I think the one I was working on was a
TRW.

Now, as for your dial reading 219 kHz low, that sounds like the dial has
either slipped, or the hub has broken.

Have you measured the output of the LMO itself? It should be 5.0 to 5.5
MHz with a little "overlap" on both ends. Something like 4995 to 5505 kHz
total.

Also it will read the 5.5 MHz at the low ends of the bands, and the 5.0 MHz
at the high ends: it "tunes backwards".

Ken W7EKB