[Heath] Replacing dial lights with LEDS in SB-102

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Tue Jan 3 14:08:50 EST 2017

On 3 Jan 2017 at 3:21, Joseph Smalley via Heath wrote:

> I have posted this question once before about replacing the dial lights with LEDS got a
few
> suggestions.
>
> One was using LEDS from the Superbrightleds company.  They make a great product.
>
> Unfortunately for me the LEDS I purchased do not project the light in the right direction towards
> the plastic circular dial.  These LEDS shine the light straight out and in the SB-102 that is down not at the
> circular dial.

Yes. This is a problem with most LEDs. Most have a lens in the very front. There ARE some
being made now which radiate in a "globe" shape, but there are very few. I found some of
those at AllElectronics.

However, sanding, filing, grinding or otherwise clouding the lens in front, or even the entire
LED can often make them radiate outwardly and not in one direction only. This does cut
down on the total light available, but it does help.

Ken W7EKB

---