[Heath] Replacing dial lights with LEDS in SB-102

G3OOU at aol.com G3OOU at aol.com
Tue Jan 3 17:25:16 EST 2017

Hi Bill

You need to take into account the reverse breakdown voltage of the LED
when applying 12.6v AC to it which is why I suggested a series rectifier diode
to remove that issue.

73

Bob

Bob F Burns G3OOU,  G-QRP 6907, @BobFBurns
Crystal Palace Radio & Electronics Club: _www.g3oou.co.uk_
(http://www.g3oou.co.uk/)
Technical web site: www.qsl.net/g3oou

wrcromwell at gmail.com writes:

Hi,

I understand the need for the current limiting (voltage  dropping) series
resistor. But I thought the 'D' in LED stands for um...  diode. Why is
another diode required? The LED should make it's own DC. I  can't
remember ever applying AC to an LED expecting it make it's own DC  but
the thought has occurred to me. Just that I don't know if I actually  did
it. Those are cheap so I will give it a try later tonight in my mad
scientist lab. All I have to lose is an LED.

73,

Bill   KU8H

bark less - wag  more

Heath mailing  list