[Heath] New GPS Clock

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Mon Jan 9 00:28:05 EST 2017

I have long enjoyed my two Heathkit GC-1000 WWV clocks and keep them
operating. They are rather unique and command an astounding price on eBay.

But, a similar new clock with red 7-segment LED displays including a
tenth-second digit display like the GC-1000 has become available. Rather
than using WWV, it uses the GPS satellite constellation. It is
configurable for world-wide time zone, DST, 12/24 hour and display
brightness. Check:

https://www.tindie.com/products/nsayer/gps-clock/?pt=ac_prod_search

I got this clock a few days ago. After power-up it took only about two
minutes to display GPS time. It is powered by a small 5 vdc wall-wart
supply. Its displayed time correlates well with WWV and the clock has
worked flawlessly. I've turned down the display brightness several times
but it is still brighter than the GC-1000 displays.

Ok, not Heathkit but functionally identical to the GC-1000 and with
modern electronics. Well... it does not have "hold-over" but so long as
GPS is received, it displays time.

Ask if you have questions. No, I am not the designer/seller, just a
satisfied user.

--
Best wishes,

Larry McDavid W6FUB
Anaheim, California  (SE of Los Angeles, near Disneyland)