[Heath] The DX-60B Issue - Lamp in series with the 120VAC

Paul Robinson probinson at rodew.com
Mon Apr 2 12:09:31 EDT 2018

All:

I do not apply full power to an old rig.  It is not necessary and can do
a lot of damage.

I like installing a 60 watt or 120 watt (120VAC) incandescent lamp in
series with the input power.  This limits the 120VAC current to 1 or 2
amps and prevents a lot of smoke.
It also allows one to take some measurements.  I have been known to
short the load with a clip lead (the DX-60 in this case) when the power
is tuned on, then when the lamp is lit, I remove the load short.  In
this way there is no surge to the load when the power is applied to the
load.  The load sees a nice constant current 1 or 2 amps.

I have also installed a switched AC outlet and an isolation transformer,
at my bench, which I use during these times.

Something to think about.

ALSO:
Old rigs have aluminum electrolytic capacitors which need to be slowly
powered up (re polarized, I think is the term) as the leakage current
through the capacitors will be high when power is first applied.  A
variable transformer will allow the power to be increased slowly over a
10 hour or 24 hour period and this seems to work.  Again, I use a 60
watt or 120 watt (120VAC) incandescent lamp in series with the input
power which will limit the current if something drastic happens during
this process.

If you are not qualified or experienced to work on this equipment then
do not.

Later,
Paul
VE1AVD