[Heath] Replacement Caps

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Thu Feb 1 13:09:44 EST 2018

On 1 Feb 2018 at 9:46, Doug & Kathy Davies wrote:

> Well, it's likely pretty obvious that I don't know enough about this subject to make an intelligent
> post.

Not true. You're doing fine.

>  I do know that the values don't have to be exact.  I also know that I likely don't need to
> replace the disc ceramics or the micas at this point.  What I don't know is what to use for
> replacements for capacitor types that are no longer being manufactured like the molded mica
> and tubular paper ones.   I did get some good suggestions and information and for that I'm very
> thankful.

>From the rest of your post, I think that if you tell us which capacitors in the DX-60 concern
you, we can give you more accurate information.

I DO have the DX-60 manual here and can look up what you will need, and I will be happy
to do that for you.

> Regarding the two mylar caps in the transmitter, Ken Gordon asked where they are being used
> in the circuit.  Both of them are connected to the plates of a 12AX7 that is being used as the
> speech amplifier.  One goes from the plate in 1/2 of the tube to the audio gain control and the other
> goes from the plate in the other 1/2 to the grid of a 6DE7 acting as the modulator tube.

Yes. That entire circuit is the controlled-carrier screen modulator. I'll look up the
components in that circuit, and the rest of the DX-60 and will try to give you more direct
advice on those. Standby.

>  These
> both need to be oriented correctly, according to the manual, so I need to find  replacements that
> will allow me to do that.

OK. As I said...

> I was also not clear enough in my original post as to what I'm doing here.  I was given an
> HR-10B receiver and the DX-60B transmitter.  The receiver is completely built.  The transmitter
> is about 1/8 complete physically but all of the electronic components are missing i.e all caps and
> resistors.

Ah. Well, in my opinion, you are a lucky fellow! This enables you to finish a fine little
transmitter yourself. This is almost as good as finding an unbuilt kit.

>  I will only be replacing the electrolytics in the receiver.  I will, however, need to
> procure all of the caps and resistors for the transmitter.  I have ordered the replacement cap kit
> for the electrolytics from Hayseed Hamfest.  I can get most, if not all, of the other caps and the
> resistors from Just Radios.  I just need to know what the replacements are for those caps
> mentioned above, hence my request to the group.  I apologize for the vagueness in my original
> posts.  I do appreciate the help.

No sweat. We are most happy to help.

As I said, standby a bit.

Ken W7EKB