[Heath] Trying to connect a SB 104 to a SB 200 -- need help/information

JF lhouseparker at livingston.net
Tue Jun 19 15:49:38 EDT 2018

Been quite a few years since I last used those. Are you aware that
Heathkit made field upgrade kits for both the SB-104 (it became the
SB-104A) and HP-1144? There were many changes, so you need to make
sure which ones you have.

In case you someday may want to use the SB-200 with modern xcvrs (and
this is also recommended for the SB-104 series) I would advise
against using the original hookup, as the keying voltage and current
required will almost certainly damage all but old radios rated for them.

For a few bucks you can make or buy a small low-voltage/current
"soft-key" module that fits inside the SB-200 and replaces the old
120VDC keying system. Back around the 1990's Allen Harbach WA4DRU
started up Harbach Electronics, making available numerous kits/parts
for the SB-104/SB-200, and one of these was the "SK-201 Soft-Key
Keying Interface", still available for $30.00. Allen is now a SK, and
the business was taken over by Jeff Weinberg, W8CQ

"The SK-201 safely acts as an amplifier interface to your modern
transceiver to the Heathkit SB-200 or SB-201. This unit is mounted
inside the amplifier and transforms the negative 120VDC key closure
to approximately 0.7VDC at 1.5mA.  Without it you run the risk of
severely damaging the keying circuit in your transceiver."

The website for SB-200 kits at Harbach Electronics is:

<https://harbachelectronics.com/product-category/heathkit-sb-200-sb-201/>

and the Soft-Key particulars are at:

<https://harbachelectronics.com/shop/heathkit-sb-200-sb-201/sk-201-soft-key-keying-interface/>

I would also highly recommend replacing the SB-200's power supply
module/metering circuit, as the old ones deteriorated with age. For
tips on restoring the SB-200 I would suggest looking at sites like

<http://www.crompton.com/hamradio/heath/sb200/sb200.html>

and numerous others.

73
John  KE5ZB