[Heath] HW-101 VFO

ChrisIwata chrisiwata at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 12:51:19 EST 2018

 From memory of my old HW-101, the VFO was powered by an external
reverse-biased BJT acting as a Zener diode: I'd check this before
removing the VFO.  I think the breakdown was something like 7 volts.
Even if it's good, replace it with a true Zener; a BJT is not meant to
be used as a Zener for any appreciable current.

If the bug is in the VFO, it's likely the JFET.  The gate-source
junction is suspect.  If you look at modern JFET VFO schematics, they've
added a 1N914 here as protection.

Chris, KL7DM