[Heath] More on HW-101 VFO

ChrisIwata chrisiwata at aol.com
Tue Mar 6 12:40:42 EST 2018

The Fairchild datasheet says for the 2N3393 the base-emitter breakdown
voltage is 5v minimum:  No max or typical was listed. This was for 10uA
(microamps),  which is why I said to replace the BJT with a true Zener
(or use a 3-terminal regulator).   From memory on my hot-water 101, it
was something like 7v.

The exact voltage is probably not critical, the Zener was simply there
to stabilize the VFO.  Higher voltage means  more VFO RF output but
maybe more drift from component heating?  Use a 78L09 or 78L06?

Add a Zener to the 'good' VFO as well

Chris, KL7DM