[Heath] HW-101 VFO - more

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Wed Mar 7 11:27:25 EST 2018

On 7 Mar 2018 at 6:35, john wrote:

> I built an HW101 back in...hmmm 77 or 76 maybe? I do recall the VFO as
> being one of the most challenging areas. By the end of the assembly it
> was kind of a web of flying leads inside the aluminum box.

Oh, yes. It looks very messy...

> Neat rig though!
>
> John K5MO

Yes.

I have always considered that VFO to be an unusually good one. The tuning capacitor is
actually a temperature-compensating type. The next time you look at it, notice the different
colored plates.

The drift in the entire system is good enough for modern use after a good warm up.

It is no wonder the HW-101 was one of the most popular kits Heathkit ever produced.

Ken W7EKB

---