[Heath] Inductor Values

Doug & Kathy Davies dkdavies3 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 12:38:51 EST 2018

I'm in the process of completing a previously partially built Heathkit
DX-60B transmitter.  Yesterday, I was assembling the low-pass filter and
found that two of the coil were missing.  Figuring I could wind my own, I
got some enameled wire and wound a bunch on a form that looked to be close
to the right diameter.  I measured the value with my AADE L/C meter and
finding that it was too high, started to remove turns until I got to the
correct value which was 0.32 uh in this case.  Just for grins, I put the
meter on one of the kit-supplied "green marked" coils that was, according
to the manual, supposed to be 0.44uh.  It measured 0.098uh. Since there are
two of these, I measured the other one and it' value was 0.094uh.   I also
measured the other coils and they too were not even close to the manual
values.  Now this has me puzzled.  Why would Heath put coils in the kit
that are way out of spec. or, does it really matter for this application?

Doug
VE7DRF