[Heath] Strange Issue With HW-20

Doug & Kathy Davies dkdavies3 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 12:14:28 EDT 2018

I recently completed an electrolytic cap replacement project on an HW-20
Pawnee 2M AM rig.  When I took the bottom plate off the chassis, I noticed
that nearly all of the big 0.02mfd disc ceramic bypass caps appeared to
have had their outer coverings melted.  There were actual drops of stuff
hanging off the bottoms of the caps.  I don't see why this would be
happening since there's nothing underneath the chassis that would cause so
much heat.  Previously, I did a restoration on an HW-10 Shawnee which has
essentially the same circuitry and it didn't have this condition.

Any ideas as to why this would happen?  It has me a bit worried.

Doug
VE7DRF