[Heath] SB-200 and AM

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sat May 19 18:48:55 EDT 2018

On 19 May 2018 at 14:48, ChrisIwata via Heath wrote:

> Is there any difference between carrier controlled AM and suppressed carrier DSB?

Yes. A HUGE difference. Controlled-carrier AM is, after all, true AM. It has a carrier whose
power level follows the average level of the audio. Essentially, the audio controls the
amount of power out of the amplifier.

DSB is not AM. I supposed one could call DSB, "AM-without-the-carrier".

But DSB is far more difficult to implement than CC-AM.

For one thing, the "simple" methods of generating DSB require two tubes in the final amp
stage, as I remember it.

I'll go look it up again just to make sure.

Ken W7EKB

---