[Heath] SB-200 and AM

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Sun May 20 10:52:21 EDT 2018

The "generic" term, "AM", normally, to most amateur radio operators, refers to a signal amplitude modulated that has the carrier present.  Of course, FM and PM also have a carrier.

However, the modes referred to as SSB and DSB are also amplitude modulated signals even though the carrier is suppressed.  ACSB (amplitude companded sideband) is another signal that falls in this realm.  As such, one can say that all "AM" signals are AM but not all AM signals are "AM".  :>)

That is, all "AM" signals are amplitude modulated but not all amplitude modulated signals are "AM"!
 Glen, K9STH