[Heath] AR-3 issues

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Fri Oct 19 13:05:39 EDT 2018

I want to restore at least one of the two AR-3s I have here since my very first Novice
receiver in 1956 was an AR-3. I couldn't afford a cabinet for it.

Previous to that, I had worked all summer for my step-father's construction company to buy
a DX-35, which I used subsequently for many years.

The BFO in my first AR-3 never worked and due, at least partially, to that problem, I made
exactly two contacts my entire Novice year, one of which was a local about 2 miles away.

I subsequently studied hard and passed my Conditional Class license test the next year,
1957, at which time a sub-contractor for my step-father's general construction company
gave me a Hallicrafters S-41G which he had found abandoned in the basement of the home
he had recently bought. At least the BFO in that thing worked.

I made many contacts with that almost-useless piece of junk receiver. Subsequent to that,
my Mother took pity on me and bought a BC-348 for me. Then I was in heaven.

Now, I want to restore an AR-3 mainly to see just how bad it really was/is when it is working
at "peak efficiency".

The main problem I am having with BOTH of these two AR-3s is that although the
main-tuning capacitor in the AR-3 normally has a built-in 5:1 vernier, BOTH of mine are
frozen solid and are now a simple 1:1 dial.

I propose to remove the capacitors and soak them in a jar filled to the brim with PB-Blaster
in hopes that the stuff will soak down into the mechanism and loosen at least one of them
up.

But, does anyone here have anything which might work better to do this?

Ken W7EKB