[Heath] Heathkit SB-644A, Remote VFO Cables

Chris Iwata chrisiwata at aol.com
Sat Oct 9 15:29:58 EDT 2021

Heathkit back then used phono connectors a lot, probably because they
were cheap. They are not the best connectors to use for RF. The
sleeve-fit ground makes for lousy connections.

Since the coax cables are not carrying any appreciable power, just about
any well-shielded cable will work.  The impedance is not an issue for
anything less than say 6 feet. The reason for the coax is to keep the RF
isolated, not to match anything.   Don't use audio coax cable simply
because the shielding is not very good.

RG-8X is pretty thick and stiff.  It will work but be cumbersome, plus
you'll have a helluva time trying to solder on the phono plugs.  If
you're still worried about impedance, use RG-58

One of the major drawbacks of the SB104 is that it lacked RIT (receiver
incremental tuning) and XIT.  To have a separate VFO just to accomplish
this simple feature is overkill.   I built RIT/XIT into my much older
HW-101 (similar solid state VFO) pretty easily with a varactor, a pot,
and some switching circuitry.

Chris, KL7DM