[Heath] Heathkit SB-644A, Remote VFO Cables

Steven Feinsmith steven.feinsmith at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 17:54:27 EDT 2021

I acquired Heathkit Ham radio and worked on my technician and general exams
to earn the callsign soon.

I cleaned my SB-644A, Remote VFO, and checked everything to ensure it was
in good working order. I have a pair of shielded coaxial cables to link
with my Heathkit SB-104A transceiver. Both ends use RCA male phono
connectors. I realized they were short, a foot long. They cannot reach the
remote VFO unless I have put them on the left instead of the right. I
checked the assembly manual, and it showed that #343-3, a large, coaxial
cable, came 4 feet long. It has cut to 2 feet long instead of one foot
long. I decided to get a new coaxial cable. The original cable labeled as
follows:

300V  80 degree  FR-1  (UL)  AWN  STYLE  1436

I searched for the specification for that cable. Unfortunately, there was
almost no information such as 50-ohms? I called three different vendors,
and they did not know much about it. I think I can use RG-8x coaxial cable,
but I am not sure if this kind of cable can be attached with an RCA male
connector? What is your suggestion?

73,
Steven