[Heath] Heathkit SB-644A, Remote VFO Cables

Chris Iwata chrisiwata at aol.com
Sat Oct 9 18:56:05 EDT 2021

Guy,

Never been on the Collins listserver

A connector is only good for RF if it makes a good connection. For AF
use, the phono connector might be OK since impedance are high (say 10k
ohms).  But for RF, the impedance is typically lower, so a good contact
is more important

I hold that phono plugs with their sleeve-fit flanges don't make as good
a connection as something screwed on (PL-259) or twisted on (BNC).  For
males, if you bend the flanges inward every time you insert, then maybe
they're OK.  As for the females, if you insert the male a bunch of
times, the center wings on the female gets expanded and the contact is
not good.  You'll have to 'pop the hood' and bend the wings back
together.   All in all, I think phono connectors are good only for
one-shot use.

Chris, KL7DM