[iptv-users] Encoder recommendations (h.264 and mpeg4p2)

david raistrick drais at icantclick.org
Tue Jul 7 16:20:26 EDT 2009

Folks,

I've recently found myself involved more on the video side of our IPTV
platform than the network side...

We're looking at some coming upgrades and are shopping around for new
encoders.

The system is internal to an XXL enterprise with a small super headend (4
encoders) for internal generated content from the studios, plus
distributed local headends to replace the current RF plant (300 sites,
probably 20-30 channels per).

For the encoders, price isn't a particular issue here...the two units
being evaluated currently are $85k and $45k each...  Multicast is a must,
being able to encode to mpeg4p2 and h.264, preferably simultaneously.

HD, SD, and analog video and audio We're looking to standardize on a box
that does it all, for a bit of future proofing.

Our eyes are currently on a Digital Rapids StreamZHD + DRC-2600.

So, those of you who've dealt with these things more...any other
recommendations?

---
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais at icantclick.org             http://www.expita.com/nomime.html