[iptv-users] Encoder recommendations (h.264 and mpeg4p2)

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Tue Jul 7 16:59:05 EDT 2009

On Tue Jul 07, 2009 at 04:20:26PM -0400, david raistrick wrote:
> For the encoders, price isn't a particular issue here...the two units
> being evaluated currently are $85k and $45k each...  Multicast is a must,
> being able to encode to mpeg4p2 and h.264, preferably simultaneously.

Simultaneous is probably hard in a single box (well, single encoder) if you're
looking at a broadcast quality solution.

I've used the Tandberg iPlex encoders a lot. Modular chassis, up to 8 encoders
in 1U. Although I've only used their SD encoder modules, I've had their HD
module in for a brief evaluation (very brief, because I could get an HD
source!).

Alternatively, you can take a step up to something like the Tandberg EN8090.
Single channel in 1U, and a much improved encoder quality over the iPlex
product.

> Our eyes are currently on a Digital Rapids StreamZHD + DRC-2600.

I've never been a fan of the Digital Rapids products - their capture cards
are typically overpriced, and their software (when I evaluated it for a large
broadcaster) was incredibly buggy and lacked stability.

Simon