[iptv-users] Open source IPTV bits

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Fri Jun 12 10:16:37 EDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 10:29 PM, Charles Wyble wrote:

> Frank Bulk - iName.com wrote:
>> Certain content providers require encryption/conditional-access --
>> best of
>> luck trying to get them to approve an opensource DRM.  You need all
>> the
>> funding and resources of companies like Verimatrix, Widevine, Latens,
>> Irdeto, Nagravision, etc to make that happen.
>
> Maybe yes, maybe no.
>
> :)

 From a functioning IPTV SP, there's no "maybe" about it.  You
**must** conform to, and have your environment approved by, the
content providers.  At least, the ones that count, such as Disney/
ESPN, Turner, and any of the premium content providers.  Content is
their lifeline, they **WILL** not let it become compromised, and keep
a very short leash on anything that they think may allow a pure
digital copy to get out.  We even had two guys from Telcordia in our
shop for a week hacking on the ADB set tob boxes in order to get a
piece of paper that made ESPN happy.

>> From my perspective, if a telco wants to provide IP TV, after all
>> the market
>> and business research, the next thing to work on is content and
>> encryption.
>
> Makes sense. We are in the process of building out our IP delivery
> platform, as well as expanding our current VOIP offering. We want to
> offfer IPTV as well.
>
>> The middleware, STBs, and network generally falls into place after
>> that.
>
> That's what I've been investigating lately.
>
>> Fortunately, there are companies that will help with the content
>> licensing
>> process (i.e. TeleChannel, National Telco TV Consortium, NRTC, and
>> NCTC).
>
> Excellent. Thanks for the tip. I'll look into them.

So, are you talking about "IPTV" over the Internet, or "IPTV" on a
private, Service Provider-type network, where you have total control
over the distribution and data path?  (I really wish they had
different acronyms...)  This will really make a difference...

Alex