[iptv-users] STB/video stream monitoring

Thomas Kernen tkernen at deckpoint.ch
Tue Jun 30 12:19:18 EDT 2009

Frank Bulk wrote:
> Is anyone doing any video stream error monitoring/checking from the
> point-of-view of the STB?  I know that there is at least one vendor out
> there, Psytechnics, that has a module it can integrate into the middleware
> of the STB, but I haven't see IPTV middleware vendors picking that up.  I
> know that the Amino 110 writes out some rudimentary stats to the drive.
>
> We track most of our video problems based on the 15-minute PM bins that our
> transport gear's ADSL ports record, but nothing L4 and up.
>
> Ideally every STB would have something Psytechnic-like built in.
>
> Frank

There are a lot of options out there depending on what you want to monitor:
- Leveraging RTP streams with RTCP / RTCP XR messages
- Psytechnics, Agama, Cisco's VQE client all embedded into the STBs
- Network based probes from Ineoquest, BridgeTech
- Deeper analysis from Tektronix, Pixelmetrix, Symetricom
- STB output analysis from Witbe

Most STB developments are still per customer customisation so if you are
looking for something off the shelf I think that will be pretty hard to
find.

Thomas