[iptv-users] JDSU tester

Thomas Kernen tkernen at deckpoint.ch
Wed Aug 18 03:20:17 EDT 2010

On 8/16/10 9:16 PM, Glenn Short wrote:
> I had a salesman demo a JDSU  TB4000T tester with the C4000-IPTV
> software in it . This would be used for testing our digital signal and
> troubleshooting issues. Has anyone on the list tried this unit? It has
> the Wireshark program and allows you to view the video on its screen.
> Looking for recommendations or alternatives to this unit.

I think it really depends what you want to be looking for:
- Network layer issues (packet loss, reordering, delay, jitter)
- Video transport issues (stream construction, table rates, PCR, error
indicators)
- Video encoding issues (codecs, levels, profiles compliance)
- Transactional delays/issues: UI reponse times and service reliability
- Decoding and display against specific STBs and/or software clients
(color space conversion, de-blocking, de-interlacing, up/down/cross scaling)

There is not one tool that can do all this, and anyhow different groups
deal with those issues.

If you are investigating only the network layer part and want some basic
info about the status of the actual payload then I've worked with
Ineoquest, Bridge Technologies, Mixed Signals (now part of Tektronix).

For the other layers, Tektronix MTM400, Witbe and other provide better
insight into the video. Again depends on what you are looking for.

HTH
Thomas