[iptv-users] HPNA/HPNA Testing

Jared Gordon jaredgordon at wctatel.com
Thu Jan 7 09:40:27 EST 2010

Not to discourage, but we have pretty much stopped using HCNA/HPNA
devices.  We are also deploying FTTH, and have been doing IPTV over our
copper ADSL2+ plant for about 6yrs.  On the premise, if at all possible,
we try to pull Cat 5e to the STB.  If that's not possible, we'll try
Ethernet over Power adapters- but they won't work through most power
strips, they must be directly plugged into the wall.  If that won't work
then we fall back to Ruckus Wireless Access Points.  As an absolute last
resort, we do have HPNA devices available, but most of our techs have
stopped putting them in, because they end up returning on a trouble call
to take them back out.  The Ruckus boxes aren't foolproof, and need to
be rebooted occasionally by the customer, so those aren't ideal either.
The Ethernet over Power adapters seem to be the most robust of the
active solutions, but you can't beat a Cat 5 cable to the STB for
reliability.

Regards,

Jared Gordon

Winnebago Coop Telecom Assn