[iptv-users] Open Source x264 Encoder

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Sat Jan 23 03:32:04 EST 2010

On Fri Jan 22, 2010 at 11:26:48PM -0600, Frank Bulk wrote:
> Did you use it to encode local/cable channels for a production IP TV network
> serving residential customers, or for a different scenario?
>
> It's been understanding that in this market, you get what you pay for.

Yes - I used the SD VSIcam encoder to encode a local channel for a production
IPTV network.

I agree that you "get what you pay for" with any product, and have been burnt
on some other "low cost" solutions which haven't delivered what they've
promised.

However, I've found that image/encoding quality isn't necessarily a function
of the price you pay for the encoder. If I had the resources to build my own
"encoding device" based around a rackmount PC running x264, then I would do
so - I believe that x264 outperforms most hardware based encoders. However,
one of the key things you get with a hardware based encoder (which is what
you're paying for in most cases) is a nicely packaged solution which fits
easily into existing broadcast management systems, and can easily be managed
by your Broadcast Operations Centre.

Just my $0.02,

Simon