[Irtf-rr] IP Address Distribution

Wu Min wumin_noname@hotmail.com
Fri Dec 6 16:50:32 EST 2002

Hi Jaideep,

>Hi,
>   I'm not really sure what you are asking for.
>   Are you looking for geographic allocation of IP blocks ?

Yes, precisely and....

>   Or are you interested in finding the address space owned by each AS
>   in the Internet.

I need synthetic one.

>   The former is documented in the IANA -- to some extent.
>
>   For the latter -- it isn't too difficult to find out from the
>   route-views BGP table.
>   Of course, this data is going to be slightly off because of CIDR
>   aggregation -- but I've looked at this in the past -- and the
>   aggregation effect is minimal, and should not matter if you want to
>   generate synthetic distributions.

I have no problem with CIDR aggregation. In fact, I only need to use the
addresses to know where to direct specific traffic and all the nitty-gritty
details are not required since I do not wish to include end hosts, but just
the network core.

>   From what I saw a while ago -- there is very little correlation
>   between AS degree and IP address space.

You reckon IP address space can be distributed randomly?