[Irtf-rr] draft-irtf-routing-reqs-00.txt

avri avri at apocalypse.org
Tue Aug 12 16:55:05 EDT 2003

Hi,

First apologies for talking so long to deliver.  I finally got the the
joint draft done.  About a year late.

---

	Title		: Requirements for Inter Domain Routing
	Author(s)	: A. Doria et al.
	Filename	: draft-irtf-routing-reqs-00.txt
	Pages	: 70
	Date		: 2003-8-11

These requirements for routing architectures are the product of two
sub-groups with the IRTF Routing Research Group.  They represent two
individual and separate views of the problem and of what is required
to fix the problem. While speaking of requirements, the document is
actually a recommendation to anyone who would create a routing
architecture for the Internet in the coming years.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-irtf-routing-reqs-00.txt

---

This doc, except for the intro is a faithful (I hope) representation of
the  final draft of each of the two sub-groups contributions.   In
working through them (thanks to xml2rfc and Elwyn for the formatting) I
found myself wondering how much the requirements had changed over the
year that these sat.    In some respects, I believe they did, though
not in any major sense.   The work that has gone into shoring up the
current architecture has certainly made it appear more resilient.
Perhaps not so resilient as to last until the current projected
delivery date for:

> "THE
> right choice in the long run" for the Internet inter-domain routing
> I am happy to report that this work, aka as a LTSFGTC (Long Term
> Solution For Generations To Come), is in progress and is expected
> to be published in RFC100000.
    (from the writings of Yakov on the Routing Area list )

But  in general I believe that the superset of requirements for long
term solutions is fairly well expressed by this unified document.  and
yes, many of the issues look like they would still require research for
a solution.

The original idea had been to create this unified draft, put it through
a RG review and then have it released as an informational RFC.
Personally, I would still like to see that happen.

Before that can be published, though, there are two instances of TBD
left in the document  that I think need to be replaced.

- in 2.1.8 (from sub-group a requirements) there are two instances

>    We have two separate scopes over which we can set requirements with
>    respect to convergence:
>
>    1.  Single Change
>        In this requirement a single change of any type (link addition
> or
>        deletion, router failure or restart, etc.) is introduced into a
>        stabilized system.  No additional changes are introduced.  The
>        system must restabilize within TBDms. This requirement is a
>        fairly abstract one as it would be impossible to test in a real
>        network.
>
>    2.  System-wide
>        Defining a single target for maximum convergence time for the
>        real Internet is absurd.  As we mentioned earlier, the Internet
>        is large enough and diverse enough so that it is quite likely
>        that new changes are introduced somewhere before the system
> fully
>        digests old ones.
>
>    So, the first requirement here is that there must be mechanisms to
>    limit the scope of any one change's visibility and effects.  The
>    number of routers that have to perform calculations in response to a
>    change is kept small, as is the settling time.
>
>    The second requirement is based on the following assumptions
>
>    -  the scope of a change's visibility and impact can be limited.
>       That is, routers within that scope know of the change and
>       recalculate their tables based on the change.  Routers outside of
>       the scope don't see it at all.
>
>    -  Within any scope, S, network changes are constantly occurring and
>       the average inter-change interval is Tc seconds.
>
>    -  There are Rs routers within scope S
>
>    -  A subset of the destinations known to the routers in S, Ds, are
>       impacted by a given change.
>
>    -  We can state that for Z% of the changes, within Y% of Tc seconds
>       after a change, C, X% of the Rs routers have their routes to Ds
>       settled to a useful answer (useful meaning that packets can get
>       Ds, thought perhaps not by the optimal path -- this allows some
>       'hunting' for the optimal solution)
>
>       X, Y, Z, ARE TBD

- 3.1.7 (from sub-group b requirements) there are 3 X's and 3 TBD

> 3.7 Performance requirements
>
>    Over the past several years, the performance of the routing system
>    has frequently been discussed.  The requirements that derive from
>    those discussions are listed below.  Currently the required values
>    for these performance requirements are left for further discussion.
>
>    R(49) The routing system MUST support domains of at least X systems.
>          A system is taken to mean either an individual router or a
>          domain.
>
>    R(50) Local convergence SHOULD occur within X units of time.
>
>    R(51) The routing system MUST be 99.99x?% available.
>
>    R(52) The routing system MUST be reliable as measured by TBD.
>
>    R(53) The routing system MUST be locally stable as measured by TBD.
>
>    R(54) The routing system MUST be globally stable as measured by TBD.
>
>    R(55) The routing system SHOULD scale to an indefinitely large
> number
>          of domains.
>
>    In many cases there has been very little data or statistical
> evidence
>    for many of the performance claims being made.  In recent years
>    several efforts have been initiated to gather data and do the
>    analyses required to make scientific assessments of the performance
>    issues and requirements.  In order to complete this section of the
>    requirements analysis, the data and analyses from these studies
> needs
>    to be gathered and collated into this document.  This work has been
>    started but has yet to be completed.

My assumption is that we should either arrive at some numbers for those
TBD, or at least, a documentable method for understanding the size and
scope of those numbers.  I am hoping this list is willing to take up
this discussion.

Also a discussion of the continuing appropriateness of the requirements
would be a good thing to see.  Plus anything else I may have messed up
in moving the drafts together.

As next steps, I will be be ready to do quick edits of this doc so that
it can be released as an informational document.

I am also working on an update of the History companion document.  It
needs a bit more work since a year of history has accumulated since the
last edit.  I will, however, put out a version in the next week or so
so that others can correct the notion of history that is documented in
that draft before sending it on to become an informational RFC.

Other then that, it would be good to see this RG tackle some of the
issues, even if the immediate result is not Yakov's LTSFGTC.  I am
happy to see the Routing Area tackle immediate issues such as the
problems, both near term and long term that this group, collectively
and in smaller groups, could work on productively.  That is if the
routing research group does not blink out of existence in the near
future.  I believe that would be a pity.

a.