[Irtf-rr] San Diego IETf Meeting

Olivier Bonaventure Bonaventure at info.ucl.ac.be
Mon Aug 2 07:07:55 EDT 2004

Avri,

> I think it is because it went dormant for several years after focusing
> only on gathering IDR requirements, and the work moved elsewhere.  The
> reason for reviving the list and the RG is because there is work that
> we can do that would be useful, both in the short term and in the long
> term.  But it remains to be seen whether this list can become an active
> place for routing discussion.  I certainly invite people to use this
> list as an open forum place to discuss research ideas and issues
> related to routing.

I won't unfortunately be at the IETF for the IRTF meeting, but the
members of the routing working group could be interested by a draft on
BGP route reflectors that we submitted in July :

O. Bonaventure, S. Uhlig, and B. Quoitin. The case for more versatile
BGP Route Reflectors, July 2004. Work in progress,
draft-bonaventure-bgp-route-reflectors-00.txt.

The ps version of the draft is available from
http://totem.info.ucl.ac.be/publications.html

The draft shows that BGP route reflectors could be much more intelligent
and versatile than what they are today. By using more versatile BGP
route reflectors, it becomes possible to introduce more advanced
services in interdomain routing without completely changing the current
interdomain architecture.

Best regards,

Olivier Bonaventure
--