[Irtf-rr] San Diego IETf Meeting

avri at psg.com avri at psg.com
Tue Jul 20 11:57:29 EDT 2004

On 20 jul 2004, at 11.07, Thierry Ernst wrote:

> OK, I can have a few words at San Diego to tell about the status of RO
> in NEMO, if that interests you. As some may know, we have listed a NEMO
> WG milestone on "Analysis of the solution space for RO in NEMO". I
> guess
> that if the conclusions say "it's too complicated" we would move that
> the IRTF (this group or another, don't know); if the conclusion say is
> feasible in a reasonalbe amount of time, we should re-charter NEMO and
> produce the solution.

sure thing.  I will add the topic to the agenda.

> Actually, I'm in favor or both:
>
> - NEMO WG producing short-terms solution if feasible (actually, it
> seems
> that it is, given the drafts submitted to NEMO, and exisiting
> implementation from CISCO's ideas - RRH)
>
> - studying other long-term alternatvives at the IRTF.

Definitely a possibility.  We should discuss it.

>> We have a slot scheduled for San diego, and if would would like to
>> make
>> a presentation ion the issues you think should be researched, please
>> let me know and I will add you to the agenda.
>
> I may be able to do this, or to ask someone involved in RO in NEMO to
> do it.

OK.

>> I am still attempting to get the group reactivated after several years
>> of relative inactivity.  Anyone who has a set of issues they would
>> like
>> to see researched should contact the list or me privately.
>
> Why has it been so silent, given the tremendous activity in academic
> conferences ?

I think it is because it went dormant for several years after focusing
only on gathering IDR requirements, and the work moved elsewhere.  The
reason for reviving the list and the RG is because there is work that
we can do that would be useful, both in the short term and in the long
term.  But it remains to be seen whether this list can become an active
place for routing discussion.  I certainly invite people to use this
list as an open forum place to discuss research ideas and issues
related to routing.

a.