[j-nsp] Juniper as a route-server

Jesper Skriver jesper@skriver.dk
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 23:02:58 +0100

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 08:46:19PM -0000, Guy Davies wrote:

> > On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 02:32:38PM -0600, John Kristoff wrote:

> > > I hope you're also keeping a tally of those that don't want to see
> > > Juniper become route servers.  If so, no-juniper-rs++.
> >
> > Why on earth would you have anything against that someone else setup
> > a Juniper router they have bought, as a route-server ?
>
> So long as they have no problem with their warranty and support
> contracts being invalidated, users can do what they like with the
> boxes.  They are, after all, essentially a FreeBSD box.

I'm talking about using it as a route server, if Juniper add the ability
to allow telnet login's without username or password - not about a
hacked up version of JunOS.

> > If Juniper add the ability to login without username/password, you
> > can choose to use it or not.
>
> So long as any such feature requires explicit configuration, I have no
> objection.  As I said, give people enough rope...  However, I think it
> would be a significant degradation of the behaviour of Juniper routers
> if this were to become a default behaviour (i.e. accounts created with
> no authentication entries allowed login without some explicit command
> to allow it).

As I know Juniper, it's obvious to me that such a feature had to
explicitly configured, and that the current default behaviour would not
change.

/Jesper

Senior network engineer @ AS3292, TDC Tele Danmark