[j-nsp] recommendation for switches to use with an M10

John Kristoff jtk@aharp.is-net.depaul.edu
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:24:55 -0600

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 03:03:41PM -0500, Georgi Kostov wrote:
> link via an M10 Juniper router (over single-mode fiber), and I need to
> get a GigE switch to use with it that is supposed to avoid some
> problems with multicasting that some switches have supposedly been
> having when hooked-up to Juniper routers.  And in general, I'd be
> interested to hear of any recommendations for a line of GigE and 10/100
> switches that we can standardize on, here, as well as for vendors to
> use.  I have been looking at Extreme and Foundry so far.

I think you'll find most anything works well.  You might want to
check the I2 multicast wg archives.  Often, complex multicast
related problems are discussed there first.  I don't remember
seeing or hearing of any major Juniper-to-L2switch issues, but
there has been at least one inter-domain problem recently.  Usually
the problems are easily worked around or quickly fixed by one of
the interoperating vendors.

John