[j-nsp] import BGP routes in RIB

Andrew Ramsey akramsey@juniper.net
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:13:05 -0700

Hi Richard,

Yes, I've had a couple of people ask me about this in the last few
weeks.  Right now, when importing routes into the rib-group, you can
only control accept or reject, and not manipulate route metrics.  What
you need is the ability to manipulate metrics when importing into the
rib-group.  This will be supported in a later release of JUNOS.  Please
contact your SE for the details.

What's your criteria for selecting which packet goes to which ISP?

In the meantime could you use FBF and a static default in each instance
for backing the other up?  For example,:

1.  Create 2 routing instances; expensive-net and cheap-net. =20
2.  Populate routes into each of these instances via BGP. =20
3.  Create an interface routes' rib-group
4.  Create a static default route in each of the instances pointing to
the other instance BGP neighbor (for backup)
5.  Create a firewall pointing to the appropriate instance based on ?
(things you can match in a FW filter)
6.  You can also make a rib-group w/ inet.0 so that you end up with:

a.  A user group that always uses expensive-net backed up by cheap-net
b.  A user group that always uses cheap-net backed up by expensive net
c.  A user group that always follows the BGP selected best path

For 2 ISPs this might work, but as you add more it becomes less elegant.

Let me know offline if I can be of some help.

Andy

http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
PGP Key ID: 0x138EA177  (67 29 D7 BC E8 18 3E DA  B2 46 B3 D8 14 36 FE
B6)